BBC World Service Trust - Dhaka
Duty Station: Dhaka
Reports To: Line Producer - Drama
Duration: 1 Year (Contingent on 3-month trial period) with possibility of extension
Grade: Pay Grade 3
Deadline: June 3, 2009
The BBC World Service Trust is the BBC’s international development agency. Working in over 40 countries worldwide, the Trust uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights. In Bangladesh, the Trust is supporting and expanding programming in its key areas of focus. This includes a major project using the media to improve English language skills. Core activities include factual and drama television programs, mobile and online learning products and content for radio. To assist in managing its significant operations, the Trust is seeking a translator to facilitate the production of its upcoming TV programs. It is an excellent chance to work in a vibrant creative industry and be involved on a project that will impact on the media industry in Bangladesh. The terms of reference and required experience are listed below:
• Reading through original material and rewriting it in the target language, ensuring that the meaning of the original text is retained in a word-processed document;
• Meeting deadlines;
• Proofreading and editing final translated versions;
• Interpreting between editorial team and writers
• Maintaining confidentiality;
• Using specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words used;
• Using appropriate software for presentation and delivery;
• Liaising with editorial team to discuss any unclear points;
• Developing specialist vocabulary in the area of drama translation;
• Excellent command of English and Bangla – written and verbal.
• Ability to recognise colloquial English and Bangla and translate accordingly
• Fluency in using word programs in English and Bangla
• Demonstrate ability to keep to deadlines
• Minimum two years of experience in dealing with project related activities.
• Minimum bachelors’ degree in any discipline preferably English.
• Fully qualified professional with demonstrated experience in assisting in project activities.
• Ability to compose Bangla (30 w/m) and English (50 w/m).
• Experience working in international organisations and with major media organisations will be considered as additional qualification.
• Previous experience translating in the Drama or media industry would be perferable
• Excellent interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships.
All applicants should send in their CVs with accompanying cover letter and a translation of the following document.
Applications: Please send your CV, cover letter and translated document to BBCWST-Dhaka HR Officer at email@example.com. The deadline for receiving applications is June 3, 2009. The BBC is an equal opportunities employer.