Date of issue: 6 April 2012
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Bangladesh invites applications from Bangladeshi nationals for recruitment of the following position: Position : Field Monitor Assistant (Cox's Bazar)
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC)
Grade: SC equivalent to GS-5
No. of posts : 1 (One)
Duty Station: Cox's Bazar
Duration : One year (with possibility of extension)
Closing Date : 16 April 2012
Major duties and responsibilities: Under the overall supervision of the Head of WFP Cox's Bazar Sub-office, the Field Monitor Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Organise and undertake regular field monitoring visits, and administer prescribed monitoring checklists for WFP-assisted project activities under Cox's Bazar Sub-office (including food security and food for education support to the ultra-poor of all upazilas in Cox's Bazar District, as well as Kutupalong and Nayapara refugee camps).
- Regularly meet with NGO and government partner agencies at the field level to monitor implementation of activities and jointly solve problems.
- Undertake follow-up visits on specific and critical monitoring issues such as resource release, food quality, beneficiary targeting, disaster preparedness, quality of NGO services and other general trouble shooting.
- Monitor training quality delivered by NGOs, observe training effectiveness and provide feedback to the trainers for improvement.
- Enter monitoring data obtained through checklists into the database system immediately after field visits.
- Produce reports on monitoring observations, case studies, immediate actions initiated, follow up actions, improvement, future strategy and plan for results.
- Keep updated on disaster emergency preparedness and contingency plan of the Sub- office and monitor situation on a regular basis.
- Translate as necessary for WFP international staff and visiting delegations.
- Assist with organising meetings, workshops, mission visits and training as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
Expected Results: Organized and precise records; well analyzed data with minimum supervision, processing of work and related follow up done under general supervision. Use of own discretion to address unforeseen situations seeking advice from and/or reporting to supervisor as applicable.
Critical Success Factors: Strong interpersonal skills; courtesy, tact and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural background. Ability to interpret and analyze a wide variety of programme issues and statistical information, and to maintain accurate and precise records. Ability to communicate in a team with people from different nationalities, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, ability to work in a team environment and achieve common goals, ability to work systematically, use initiative, good judgement, and to communicate complex matters both orally and in writing; proven ability to work in a team environment and achieve common goals.
Education: University degree and/or equivalent experience with emphasis on the following disciplines: Social Sciences, Nutrition, International Relations or other related field.
Experience: At least four years of progressively responsible job related experience in the field of monitoring, development programme operations, emergency operations, refugee operations or other related field.
Language: Fluency in written and spoken English and Bangla essential. Preference will be given to candidates who possess sound knowledge of Chittagong dialect and/or Rohingya language.
Knowledge: Excellent in utilising computers; MS Office such as Access, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Working knowledge in spreadsheet and other software packages.
Submission of application: Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send their application quoting this vacancy announcement and Post Title along with one copy passport size photograph, Curriculum Vitae (with contact telephone number and name & addresses of three references) and Summary of Candidate's Profile as per prescribed format attached with the TOR to: Human Resources Officer, WFP, UN Offices, IDB Bhaban, Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Agargaon, Dhaka, Bangladesh or e-mail to: Bangladesh_Vacancy_Announcement@wfp.org mentioning the position applied on the subject line by 16 April 2012. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Click here to download: the Summary of Candidate's Profile
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages female candidates to apply
UN Offices, IDB Bhaban, E/8-A, Rokeya Sharani, Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh, GPO Box 2488, Dhaka-1000
Tel: (880-2) 8116344-48, 8119064-72, Fax: (880-2) 8113147, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: http://www.wfp.org/bangladesh