Title: Operations Officer
Location: FAO Representation in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Contract Duration : 1 Year renewable
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh, the incumbent will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the field projects, in particular he/she will:
- Act as focal point for all projects operational matters;
- Prepare project task force meeting as required and ensure the secretariat of such meetings;
- Ensure adequate and timely provision of project inputs, follow up on administrative and managerial actions required for the recruitment of project personnel, procurement of goods and services/contractual arrangements, organization of training, etc. in line with project work plans and budgets as per FAO rules and regulations;
- Carry out or participate in the preparation and regular revision of project work plans, monitor progress and, where necessary, identify corrective measure to overcome operational constraints;
- Ensure project budget management and prepare revisions as required;
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of the Quarterly Project Implementation Reports and any other reports required by the Organization;
- Ensure preparation of analytical reports on project performances, as required;
- Coordinate action concerning the completion of field projects and arrange for timely and adequate reporting, including identification of project follow-up requirements;
- Provide inputs for the FAO Representative’s annual reports and other reports on FAO programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Supervise the assigned staff and output;
- Perform other duties as required.
As direct support to the FAO Representative, liaison with the Assistant FAOR (Programme) and with the project managers, the incumbent is in frequent contact with most staff of the office, with internal and external project staff and with enquirers from within and outside of the Organization. The incumbent communicates with staff in Headquarters, with Regional and Sub-regional technical and operations staff, with responsible staff from UN /UNDP units in the country, as well as with staff and managers of local institutions and suppliers.
Qualification Requirements and Competencies
University Degree in Agriculture, Economics supplemented by master in Agriculture Economics or related subject. Specialized training in project management and programme operations.
Essential: Six years of progressively technical, operational, and project management experience preferably with a large UN or International Organization.
Desirable: Familiarity with FAO and/or UN field programme management procedures and guidelines.
Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English, French or Spanish) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Exchange). Ability to effectively use project management software and other information systems /databases.
Desirable: Knowledge of FAO’s corporate information systems, such as COIN (Country Office Information System) and FPMIS (Field Programme Management Information System).
Project and Work Management Skills:
Good knowledge of FAO’s operational guidelines and project / programme management procedures. Systematic and efficient approach to work assignments, very good judgment and analytical ability. Ability to structure and convey information in an appropriate, professional format. Actively support new ideas to streamline working methods. Recognize sensitive / confidential material and handle it with a high level of discretion. Exercise diligence in dealing with project resources. Ability to carry out and manage a high number of diverse and complex assignments and to cope with an increased volume of work during peak periods.
The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international environment within a team of staff with mixed skills and different national and cultural backgrounds. He / she must be willing to share information, tasks and ideas to ensure efficient teamwork and achievement of shared goals. He / she must be able to establish good working relationships and liaise with supervisor(s), project managers, and staff members from within and outside the Organization. He / she should be able to give productive advise and feedback to other staff. Tact, courtesy and cultural empathy are essential personal attributes. Since the incumbent has access to confidential and sensitive information, a high level of trustworthiness is needed.
UN Salary scale and benefits for similar positions apply.
Interested qualified candidates will find the Personal History Form (PHF) required for the application by clicking this link: http://www.fao.org/VA/adm11e.dot Completed PHF must reach the FAO Representation to the address below in sealed envelope not later than Sunday, 07 December, 2008. You may also send the filled up PHF as scanned/ signed attachment to this address: FAO-BD@fao.org
FAO Representation in Bangladesh
House # 37, Road # 8
Dhanmondi Residential Area
Dhaka - 1205, Bangladesh
Applications not submitted through the filled PHF will be discarded. Please do not submit with your application any certificate and/or document.
Candidates not possessing the essential qualifications should not apply as their application will not be considered. The position applied for must be clearly indicated in the Envelope as:
Indicate in the envelope or in the subject line of email as - APPLICATION FOR POST OF: (Indicate title of the post applied for)