Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ) GmbH is a government-owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. On behalf of the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GTZ-Bangladesh provides technical cooperation to the Second Urban Governance and Infrastructure Improvement (Sector) Project, UGIIP-2, of the Government of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh. GTZ works in partnership with Local Government Engineering Department (LGED) of Ministry of Local Government , Rural Development and Cooperatives (MLGRDC). GTZ technical cooperation focuses on the improvement of urban management and promotes socially inclusive cities through participatory and comprehensive urban planning in Pourashavas. It also aims at contributing to the national policy dialogue on good urban governance.
GTZ invites application from highly qualified and experienced candidates for the position of “Adviser on Urban Management and Planning”. The duty station is in Dhaka.
A. Core Tasks:
The incumbent shall be responsible for, but not limited to the following:
- Support and supervise the preparation of urban development planning and take overall responsibilities for the implementation of the required activities.
- Review and refine existing training materials and program to take appropriate action for necessary updating.
- Supervise and coordinate the preparation of relevant training resources and coordinate with national counterparts and key stakeholders
- Provide support in the approval process of urban sector policy;
- Support in supervising and coordinating all activities related to urban governance capacity development and in conducting trainings in Pourashavas selected by the authority on central and regional basis
- Supervise activities on land-use and GIS and provide backstopping support as per the requirements
- Any other responsibilities assigned to him/her by the Principal Adviser
B. Required Entry Qualifications and Competencies:
Formal Education and Experiences:
- A minimum Bachelor/Master degree in civil engineering/urban and regional planning or masters in economics, public administration or similar and equivalent education qualifications.
- At least 15 years of working experience of which 10 years direct working experience with Pourashavas in a foreign aided urban development project in Bangladesh in the field of urban planning management and capacity improvement of urban local government in Bangladesh .
- Experience of working as Project director of an urban development project or as head of a unit relevant to urban management and planning in large public/national/international organization will be given preference.
- Excellent knowledge on previous national interventions/projects regarding to urban development and planning in Bangladesh
- Experienced with training curricula and supervising training of trainers (TOT) for local staff and national counterparts i.e. UMSU, Pourashavas etc.
- Excellent command of MS-Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Excellent language skill both in English and Bangla in oral and written form to express complex conditions in a comprehensive and easy understandable way.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Sound knowledge of DC/TC and relevant instruments
- Independent, highly motivated staff member who is willing to learn, and is open and flexible in an international work context.
Detailed TOR can also be obtained by requesting through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org putting “Request for Detailed TOR for the Position of position name” in the subject line.
We only accept electronic applications. Please send your resume (no more than 05 pages) with two references along with one passport size photograph (scanned), a cover letter describing relevant/specific experience and suitability for the position (no more than 02 pages) to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for the Position of Name of the Position”. All Applications must be received no later than January 25, 2009. Short listed candidates will be contacted within two weeks of deadline for applications for interviews. No phone calls please. All applications will be treated according to the merit and with strict confidentiality.