ActionAid Bangladesh is looking for suitable candidate for the following position:
Programme Officer - Shelter Engineer
Name of project: FRESH Project in south-west region in Bangladesh
Location of postin : Tala, Satkhira
Duration of project : Up to January 31, 2013
Number of Position : (One)
ActionAid is an international anti-poverty agency working in over 40 countries, taking sides with poor people to end poverty and injustice together
Project FRESH (Flood REsistant SHelter for south-west region in Bangladesh) aims to provide disaster-resilient family shelters and WASH (Water, Sanitation & Hygiene) support for the effected families who lost their houses during the recent flood and water-logging. Project will support individuals, poor and vulnerable communities affected with chronic/recurrent water logging, are living in disaster resilient family shelters with WASH facilities and showcase long-term sustainable recovery and rehabilitation of physical needs in Satkhira district of Bangladesh. This will be achieved by construction of flood resilient new family shelters, construction of raised HH latrines and conducting up to 10 hygiene promotion sessions for each working villages during the project period. The project will be implemented in the worst affected unions under Tala upazilla in Satkhira district.
The project will be implemented in hard-to-reach areas and ActionAid plans to collaborate and cooperate with other government and non-government agencies to avoid duplication of resources. Local partner NGOs will implement the project in partnership with ActionAid. Partners will implement the interventions while AAB will monitor and facilitate the interventions.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager – FRESH project, the Programme Officer – Shelter Engineer is expected to:
- Provide guidance for supervising and monitoring all technical aspects of the project activities.
- Supervise site implementation activities and assist towards developing specifications for engineering goods and services.
- Formulate and manage hazard resistant technical trainings for the staff, implementing partners, local authorities and community and maintain the records of the events.
- Analyze implementation work plan and make recommendations for improvements as necessary.
- Provide guidance to field staff for construction methodology of various shelter support types applied to the project, receive its inputs and act in consequence in coordination with the project staff and partner.
- Assist and support to procure quality materials as required.
- Ensure accurate record keeping, construction inspections, quality audits and records of actual quantities maintained, drawings are kept up to date and variations and addendums are issued correctly.
- Consider environmental issues during construction of shelter and latrine.
- Ensure partners should use quality materials for construction and quality outcome with timely manner.
- Lead regular coordination meetings with on-site relevant staff and implementing partners; ensure understanding of required construction, production and compliance; coordinate and facilitate inputs of government agencies, partners, local elected bodies, community leaders other NGOs working in similar field in a timely and effective manner.
- Assist in maintaining program quality and accountability and establish complain mechanism both in office as well as in the field.
- Keeping liaison with project manager and other staff of the project for smooth functioning of the activities.
- Prepare project progress reports, information releases, as well as monitoring and review.
- Perform any other tasked assigned by the supervisor.
Required qualification and competencies:
- Minimum Graduation in Civil Engineering from any recognized university or institutions.
- At least 3-4 years of relevant working experience. Experience to work in the disaster management, emergency response and DRR issues will be preferred.
- Familiar with government designs and specifications.
- Skill on report writing, time and resource management.
- Should be gender sensitive and familiar with Human Rights Based Approach
- Ability to work under extreme pressure and quality to be effective team member in emergency situations
- Knowledge of MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-PowerPoint and relevant designing related software etc.
- Willingness to travel in the remotest areas, and willing to be stationed in any part of the country.
- Good nterpersonal skill
- Good communication skills both in English and Bangla
Only those who meet the above requirements are requested to apply. Please follow apply instructions below:
Last date of application is Sunday, February 12, 2012 on or before 5:00 PM
Please click this link to find a prescribed Job Application Form & send the filled in form to email@example.com
Mention the name of the position applied for in subject of the e-mail
Attach a cover letter justifying your suitability (address Head, Human Resource & Organisation Development)
ActionAid aims to attract and select a diverse workforce with skills and capabilities to fulfil requirements. Any personal persuasion/phone-call will result in disqualification of candidature.
A world without property and injustice in which every person enjoys their right to a life with dignity.
To work with poor and excluded people to eradicate poverty and injustice
ActionAid lives by the following values
Mutual respect, requiring us to recognise the innate worth of all people and the value of diversity.
Equity and Justice, requiring us to work to ensure equal opportunity to everyone, irrespective of race, age, gender, sexual orientation, HIV status, colour, class, ethnicity, disability, location and religion.
Honesty and transparency, being accountable at all levels for the effectiveness of our actions and open in our judgements and communications with others.
Solidarity with the poor, powerless and excluded will be the only bias in our commitment to the fight against poverty and injustice.
Courage of conviction, requiring us to be creative and radical, bold and innovative – without fear of failure – in pursuit of making the greatest possible impact on the causes of poverty.
Independence from any religious or party-political affiliation.
Humility in our presentation and behaviour, recognising that we are part of a wider alliance against poverty and injustice.
Find us also in Facebook and Twitter for regular updates!