Position Title, Location & Contract Duration
Section Manager-Accounts (1 position) for Finance Department
Location: Based at CARE Bangladesh Head Quarter
The duration of the proposed contract will be five years.
I. Job Summary
The Section Manager, Accounts is overall responsible for day-to-day management of the Country office’s fund and ensuring effective and prompt services to the diverse clients of the section under Finance. S/He reviews and supervises the Accounts Payable and General Ledgers modules SCALA transactions of the main office on a regular basis. He ensures updating the entries in AP and GL modules in all three Scala companies. S/He supervises reconciliation of Sub Ledgers, General Ledgers with trial balance and ensures timely closing of AP and GL modules for the main office in each month. S/He approves/certifies the payments of all the bills/invoices, consultant’s fees, overseas & local TERs, MERs, advances etc. that are submitted to Accounts section. The Manager is also responsible for transfer of operational funds to all Field Offices and ensures opening of CARE’s Bank Accounts and updating Bank signatories both in CBHQ and Field offices. S/He is required to co-ordinate and contact with all the Sections, Departments, Coordination Units and Field Offices within CARE Bangladesh and diverse clients outside CARE and different Govt./non-Govt. and financial institutions including Banks, LGED and partner NGOs. S/He makes regular correspondence with CARE Atlanta and other Country offices. The Section Manager will ensure performance management and staff development within the Section and assist the Finance Controller to achieve the targets of Department in a timely and efficient manner.
II. Responsibilities and Tasks:
Describe the major responsibilities, principal tasks, competencies and end results for which the position is accountable (try to limit responsibilities to five). List the responsibilities in the order of importance and state the percentage of time the employee spends on each responsibility during a typical year..
Responsibility # 1: Reviewing/managing day-to-day funds of the Country office
- Review /monitor the cash requirements and cash availability of the Country Office in a given period through Cash Flow analysis on a regular basis and take pragmatic decision/action to ensure healthy cash flow in the Country Office all over the year.
- Review receipt of funds from different donors, and ensure deposit of fund to the respective bank accounts in a timely manner.
- Transfer excess cash (hard currency) to CHQ in Atlanta to have positive effect in cost of capital calculation for the Country office.
- Review the monthly fund requests sent by each individual Field office and ensure timely transfer of funds to all field Offices of CARE Bangladesh.
- Ensure that all required formalities are timely made for opening new Bank accounts and updating Bank signatories as needed both for CBHQ & FIELD offices
- Responsible to oversee all other banking functions of CARE Bangladesh
Responsibility # 2: Approving/Certifying all sorts of Payments made by CBHQ
- Review thoroughly vendors’ invoices, payment requests for consultants’ fee, leasehold quarters’ rent advances, staff salary, TERs, MERs, etc. and certify for payments both in local and foreign currency.
- Ensure deduction of income tax and VAT from each individual invoice/bill submitted by vendors/consultants/Land lords a per Govt. current policy and arrange to deposit the same in to Bangladesh Bank on a regular basis.
- Make all necessary arrangement for foreign currency endorsement for overseas trip.
Responsibility # 3: Reviewing/Supervising financial transactions in SCALA & other ERP Business software (i.e Pamozdi etc.)
- Review all GL coding slip (vouchers) prepared by the respective finance officers with the relevant supporting documents before printing payment proposal and check register.
- Follow up of writing of cheques and DA’s.
- Update all entries in AP and GL modules and post them to the General ledger.
- Ensure the reconciliation of Sub-ledger, General ledger with trial balance before closing of each financial month
- Verify the GL coding slip amounts with payments proposal and check register, and process for the payments.
- Supervise the reconciliation of intra-company reconciliation and balance before closing of each financial month.
Responsibility # 4: Monitoring receivable and payable balances
- Review receivable and payable balances when necessary and ensure their timely settlement through realization of receivables from staff and vendors and/or make adjusting journal entries as required.
- Review all AJE vouchers for store materials, spare parts and other prepaid expenses on a monthly basis.
- Ensure that necessary AJEs are made for all international staff salaries and Intra-Company Accounts.
Responsibility # 5: Monitoring PNGO fund disbursement and PF Fund
- Supervise the disbursement of PNGO fund and sending of Demand Drafts for all PNGOs & LGED of different projects of CARE Bangladesh.
- Oversee CARE Bangladesh staff provident fund investments and loan status; take necessary action for charges of bank signatories of the trustees as needed, disbursement of loans and purchase/renew/encashment of saving certificates, etc.
Responsibility # 6: Interpreting CARE policies and communicating with diverse clients
- Explain CARE Bangladesh policies and procedures to diverse clients as needed.
- Review client’s satisfaction from time to time and identify policy issues to be changed.
- Organize workshops with clients/projects people and clarify issues/limitations and make them understand about their causes and necessities. Have them analyze pros and cons on all services which are provided to them and solicit for recommendations.
Responsibility # 7: Performance Management and staff development
- Assists the staff under direct supervisions in preparing their individual Operating Plan.
- Review progress of the plans of the staff members from time to time, provide feedback and necessary support in executing their plans and prepare performance appraisals of all staff under the section.
- Identify training needs; ensure needs based training for respective staff members under the section.
- Initiate appropriate disciplinary measures as and when require.
- Manage his/her section with good a team environment.
III. Reporting: Reports to Finance Controller for all aspects.
IV. Working Condition: This position is based at the CBHQ requiring 10% travel time to the Field Offices.
- Masters’ Degree in Accounting or Finance /MBA/ACMA/ACA
- 3 years experience in managerial position
- 5 to 7 years experience in finance, budgeting, accounting, financial reporting, grants/ contract management and business management in developing countries.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word and good skills at using financial software applications
VI. Core Competencies:
Extensive management skills which should include leadership, excellent human relations, coaching, staff development and monitoring, problem solving, participatory planning, organizing etc.
Good written and verbal communication skills
The applicant should have the ability to work on teams, work at detailed level and understand the larger picture.
Candidates need to be highly motivated and committed to CARE Bangladesh’s vision, mission, and long term development work to significantly improve the lives of the most vulnerable and marginalized. Candidates must be capable of displaying great learning agility, support and encouragement of knowledge sharing across projects, to the ultimate benefit of all of CARE’s mission wide initiatives.
This is an interesting time in the development of CARE as an organization which is shifting towards a program approach where it has developed longer-term impact visions to have MORE sustainable changes in the lives of the extreme poor and marginalized. CARE is looking for a Section Manager-Accounts who will play a key role in the leadership of the field office whilst at the same time building a learning culture that promotes knowledge sharing across CARE and excellence.
Monthly gross salary is Taka 83,000 plus other admissible benefits as are per policy.
CARE Bangladesh invites applications from qualified individuals. Summary job descriptions and the application format can be found on the website at: www.carebangladesh.org. Please note that only applications filled in as per CARE format will be considered. Please email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before March 03, 2012. For those wanting to send completed hard copies of the CARE application format please send to: HR Manager - HRD&M, CARE Bangladesh, 20-21, Kawran Bazar, Dhaka 1215. Interested persons may also collect the application form from our Receptions desk (9th floor).
Note: 1.Women are particularly encouraged to apply 2. Any persuasion will disqualify the candidates. 3. Internal and external applicants shall be treated equally in the entire selection process 4. Applicants who have relatives in CARE must mention it in the application form 5. Please write the position name on top of the envelope.