English in Action (EIA), a project funded by UKaid through the Department for International Development (DFID), is looking for a Senior Materials Development Officer (MDO) for its Materials Development Unit. The position is based in Dhaka and may require some field visits to its areas of operation throughout the country. The incumbent will be working with other team members as well as national/international resource persons, i.e. education experts from the Open University, UK towards designing, developing, reviewing and producing the EIA English teaching and learning materials for both primary and secondary schools in Bangladesh, and also monitoring the process to support achievement of the project outputs. He/she will directly be reportable to the Head of Materials Development (HMD).
- Contributing to the review, development, editing and production of print-based and audio-visual teaching and learning materials for primary and secondary sector interventions.
- Ensuring that all materials produced for EIA are relevant and culturally appropriate, and embody communicative language teaching principles and adhere to the EIA’s material development guidelines.
- Reviewing both English and Bangla contents so as to ensure that all essential attributes and key points of EIA materials are candidly maintained.
- Liaising with writers, illustrators, printers and audio-visual production agencies to ensure timely receipt of quality products.
- Overseeing copyright, design, layout and final production of the materials.
- Supporting the development of tools for material testing and evaluation.
- Planning of future materials development activities and distribution of the materials.
- Liaising and networking with relevant national education and materials development organizations.
- Masters degree in relevant subject.
- Proven experience to work in education sector in a national or international organization.
- Experience in education materials development and production.
- Experience in developing audio materials would be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge on Bangladesh education system and English language teaching in both primary and secondary levels.
- Good oral and written communication skill in both Bangla and English.
- Ability to work under pressure to ensure deliverables under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team, including the ability to give and receive feedback.
- Familiar with basic ICT and fluent in computer operations.
Contract: Initially for 1 year, with possibilities to renew.
Salary: Attractive salary will be offered based on experience.
How to apply:
Candidates are requested to visit the primary and secondary education materials section of EIA website (www.eiabd.com/materials) and prepare an analytical report within 500-600 words on how his/her experience suits to the development, review and production of this sort of materials and how the candidate would use that experience to make improvements in any one area of the EIA materials.
Candidates are also requested to apply using EIA prescribed CV format (download here).
Candidates meeting the above requirements should email (1) Cover Letter, (2) CV using the EIA prescribed format and (3) analytical report to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3rd March 2012.
Please mention the name of the position in the subject line.
EIA is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to promoting a diversified work place.