ActionAid Bangladesh is looking for suitable candidate for the following position:
Senior Programme Officer - Programme Support & Advocacy
Reinforcing Priority: Land Rights
Location of posting : Dhaka (with extensive field visit)
Types of contract : Regular
Salary per month : BDT 39,392 with all admissible benefit including festival bonus, provident fund, gratuity, group life insurance, medical benefits, mobile allowance etc as per organisation policy.
ActionAid is an international anti-poverty agency working in over 40 countries, taking sides with poor people to end poverty and injustice together
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to
S/he will report to the Manager – Land Rights and act as a member of the Land Rights Team of AAB. The main purpose of the position is to facilitate the land, water & forest rights issues in achieving overall country strategy paper (CSP) by cooperating team members and planning interventions. Programme Officer supports the team according to the programme, policy and strategic directions. Person is responsible for specific areas of the issues such as; programme support & local and national level advocacy. Broadly his span of work encompasses activities related to the land-water-forest issues. The programme Officer is partially responsible for attaining the organisational emergency management and any priority issues that needed by the organisation.
Specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Providing programmatic and strategic guidelines to the team through developing, implementing and maintaining programme and policy to accessing natural resources of the poor and marginalized people in line with country strategy paper.
- Providing technical support linkage on improving human rights.
- Build linkages and promote team work among other relevant institutions, networks, activists and feeding AAB experiences into external debates and forey.
- Facilitate partnership management issues within the team and support to other team and priority members in partnership related issues, governance, policy and practices.
- Participate in local, national and regional forums, networks, seminars on Land Rights issues.
- Facilitate the policy advocacy on the issues involving potential partners, policy makers, policy implementers, researcher, media and respective stake holders.
- Capacity building of partners through field visit, training, providing guideline and feedback.
S/he has to maintain functional relationship with his/her peers in team, priority and project management team. S/he also has to have open communication with other team & priorities for land rights issue and other colleagues within AAB. S/he has to be in communication with the partner, focal points and Local Rights Programme (LRP) level officers.
As his/her primary relationship is with his team, daily communication and mentoring process needs to be continuous. For external relationship s/he has to maintain networking with the multi stakeholder forum along with civil society activists, associations, academics and donor community. S/he has to maintain a good relationship with the related government departments & ministries.
Promotion and crating access of the poor and marginalised people in Bangladesh as their rights on common property resources, under the present government policies and structure, where they do not have access to resources, skills, services and opportunities is a continuous challenges.
In addition, making partner organisations understand achieving priority goals through human right based approach and streamlining their activities with the planning and budgetary process is the major challenge in the job. Although the job demands more conceptual framework development, the operational demands of the job is another key challenge.
Other related information
As a result of changing of development discourses the job demands linking the governance along with climate justice, women rights, rights of indigenous and marginalized that coming up so that proactive policy formulation and implementation could be made favouring the rights holders. In view of potential more crosscutting issues among AAIB programmes, coordination and networking part of this job would increase at a significant level in future.
Required qualification and competencies:
- Masters degree preferably in Anthropology, Social Science or equivalent with practical experience in relevant field
- At least 5-6 years of working experience in the relevant field.
- Should be gender sensitive and familiar with Human Rights Based Approach
- Leadership skill and ability to work in a team
- Ability to work under extreme pressure.
- Knowledge of MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-PowerPoint and the use of internet
- Good interpersonal skills
- Knowledge on participatory tools and techniques
- Good communication and report writing skills both in English and Bangla
Only those who meet the above requirements are requested to apply. Please follow apply instructions below:
Last date of application is Thursday, February 16, 2012 on or before 5:00 PM
Please click this link to find a prescribed Job Application Form & send the filled in form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mention the name of the position applied for in subject of the e-mail
Attach a cover letter justifying your suitability (address Head, Human Resource & Organisation Development)
ActionAid aims to attract and select a diverse workforce with skills and capabilities to fulfil requirements. Any personal persuasion/phone-call will result in disqualification of candidature.