Date of issue: 13 March 2012
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Bangladesh invites applications from Bangladeshi nationals for recruitment of the following position:
Position: Senior Programme Assistant (Nutrition)
Post Grade: GS-6
No. of posts: 1 (One) Duty Station: Dhaka
Duration: One year (with possibility of extension)
Contract: Fixed Term Appointment (FTA)Application Deadline: 29 March 2012
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Nutrition Unit, the Senior Programme Assistant is responsible for the following duties:
- Undertake negotiations for and prepare project documents (programme strategy, implementation plans and work plans) with government ministries and other participating agencies.
- Organize project planning missions, meetings and briefing sessions to identify and analyze problems and recommend project;
- Provide guidance, on-the-job training and assistance to field staff and cooperating partner staff;
- Assess project performance including utilization of resources and achievement of planned targets;
- Prepare status and progress reports by providing information and background material for use in discussions and briefing sessions;
- Evaluate, develop, recommend procedures. Participates in discussions on new/revised procedures and practices; interprets and assesses the impact of changes and makes recommendations on follow up actions;
- In close coordination with the respective WFP-Sub-offices, undertake regular field visits to monitor/oversee the nutrition intervention implementation, support field offices and report on activities with, critical analysis and lessons learnt and provide feedback for improvements/corrections;
- Maintain a well coordinated working relationship with key stakeholders and partners;
- Maintain records on programme activities, from formulation stage through completion, by extracting relevant information from reports, project committees, budget records and other documentation; make information available for country briefs, country profiles, and other related purposes; ensure project cycle deadlines are met; Keep all program files up to date and well organized and ensure easy access by other staff
- Carry out advocacy and information related tasks for project/programme activities such as making interventions and presentations in meetings, workshops, seminars, missions, etc;
- Monitor the receipt of necessary shipping, freight or other documents and notify the appropriate WFP officer of non-receipt;
- Monitor, update and track data related to project issues, commodity pipelines and financial allotment status reports, informing the relevant divisions accordingly; ensure accuracy of data related to the above;
- Issue letters of guarantee and no-charge invoices as instructed;
- Analyze and prepare projections for food commodities and non-food items to ensure timely call forward and/or local procurement;
- Assist in compiling monthly statistics on food aid and commercial food shipments to the country;
- Support in the drafting terms of reference (ToR), field level agreement (FLA), note for the record (NFR) and correspondence to the stakeholders;
- Analyze contract terms and conditions, and correct any observed discrepancies between contract rates and invoice amounts;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Expected Results: Well organized, complete and accurate reports, records and/or data, put together independently with only general guidance.
Critical Success Factors: Sound judgment; ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data and to resolve operational problems. Ability to work with minimum supervision; to supervise and train support staff; and to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Education: Masters Degree in Nutrition (public health nutrition , community nutrition or applied nutrition) or Public Health.
Experience: At least five years of progressively responsible experience, of which four years in nutrition programme implementation or nutrition program coordination. Experience in monitoring nutrition programmes and the ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative data sets are an added advantage.
- Substantial knowledge of community based food security and nutrition programmes, national nutrition situation including policies and programmes;
- Skills in utilizing computer efficiently including word processing, Excel, PowerPoint presentations;
- Good communication and coordination skills are essential including English writing skills;
- Training skills required.
Language: Fluency in both written and oral English and Bangla.
How to apply:
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send their application quoting this vacancy announcement and Post Title along with one copy passport size photograph, Curriculum Vitae (with contact telephone number and name & addresses of three references) and Summary of Candidate’s Profile as per prescribed format attached with the TOR to: Human Resources Officer, WFP, UN Offices, IDB Bhaban, Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Agargaon, Dhaka, Bangladesh or e-mail to: Bangladesh_Vacancy_Announcement@wfp.org mentioning the position applied on the subject line by 29 March 2012. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Click here to download: the Summary of Candidate's Profile
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages female candidates to apply.
UN Offices, IDB Bhaban, E/8-A, Rokeya Sharani, Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh, GPO Box 2488, Dhaka-1000
Tel: (880-2) 8116344-48, 8119064-72, Fax: (880-2) 8113147, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: http://www.wfp.org/bangladesh